One of the booths at my local farmer’s market sells tasty combinations of freshly picked baby greens. I always stop there to pick up a bag or two. As I looked through the bins, a flash of bright color caught my eye. There were colorful tiny flowers peeking out between the greens. It was such a beautiful mix, I had to take some home and made an Edible Flowers Salad with shallot Dressing.
Edible flowers add a special touch to salads and other dishes. They make a gorgeous garnish for parties and spring luncheons. Whoever said, “Please don’t eat the daisies” was wrong. You can safely eat daisies and all the other pretty blossoms listed below.
42 edible flowers
- Anise Hyssop
- Bachelor’s button
- Bee Balm
- Citrus (orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, kumquat)
- English Daisy
- Johnny Jump-Up
- Lemon Verbena
- Squash and Pumpkin
Another way to make a salad special is to top it with a delectable dressing. My friend Michele the Trainer, who is a personal trainer in Los Angeles, shared her recipe for shallot dressing. She recommends using Bariani Olive Oil from California because it’s pure and organic.
Please visit Michele’s website.
Enjoy this Edible Flowers Salad with Shallot Dressing
- 1 shallot organic if possible and minced
- ¼ cup lemon juice organic fresh squeezed
- ¼ cup orange juice organic fresh squeezed
- ½ Tsp Bariani Olive Oil or more to taste
- lettuce leaves mixed greens, vegetables and even edible flowers such as Nasturtiums
- Whisk all the ingredients together and enjoy with your salad.
- Try serving it with greens mixed with edible flowers for a pretty and colorful salad.