For some of us, going to the gym to work off our middle age flab isn’t always convenient and can be expensive. That’s where online exercise programs come in. You can do them when it’s convenient any time of day or night. But not any program will do, especially when you’re a woman over 50. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself because it takes longer to heal than it did when we were younger. It’s important to find programs that emphasize core strength, balance, and flexibility to prevent falls and other disabling injuries.
Walking isn’t enough
My favorite exercise is walking because it’s excellent for cardio and heart health. The best part of my day is in the early morning. I walk my small dogs and then take off for an hour of power walking. I love my new neighborhood because everything I need is within walking distance. Ever since I moved here I’ve barely needed to use my car, which is quite an accomplishment in Los Angeles. But I know walking isn’t enough to stay in shape, so that’s why I take advantage of online exercise programs.
Local programs geared for Baby Boomers aren’t always easy to find. Most are geared for young people like Cross Fit, which is insane. You can join a Silver Sneakers program, and it’s sometimes included in Medicare Advantage Programs. But that may be too tame for you. Baby Boomers are staying active and even running marathons but we don’t want to kill ourselves either. And what if it isn’t convenient to go to a gym? That’s why I put together a list of online programs you can do in the comfort of your home.
My list of best online exercise programs for women over 50
These are programs that are appropriate and safe for active Baby Boomers If you want to get rid of middle age spread, flabby arms and all the bulges you see when you look in the mirror (especially in stores with scary lighting) what do you have to lose?
1. Debra Atkinson
A while back my podcast partner Sharone Rosen D.C. and I interviewed Debra Atkinson. She’s the founder of the website Flipping 50. Debra’s been featured on numerous media outlets like The Huffington Post, Prevention, Living Better 50, to name a few. She also has an online TV channel called Flipping 50 TV where you can find her workout videos. Her main focus is strength training and she shows you how to do it in a way that’s safe and effective. She likes to work with a combination of light to heavy weights because each type has its own set of benefits. Do you have an issue with belly fat? Debra’s a fabulous resource to get rid of it forever.
2. Tami Peavy
Another interview we did on our podcast was with Tami Peavy who has a website called PracticalTherapy4u.com. Tami is a well-known physical therapist who has been featured on NBC and The Today Show. Her focus is on posture decline and believes it’s important to strengthen your “muscle of balance.” (otherwise known as your butt) Her exercises are designed to help prevent falls, which can be devastating when you’re over 50.
You will also find tips and exercises for sciatica, injuries, neck pain, plantar fasciitis, and carpal tunnel.
Kimberly Williams-Evans and Alexandra Williams are sisters and are the founders of FunandFit.org. Both are fun and hilarious. Their blog answers active aging questions for Boom Chicka Boomers. You’ll love their stories. They offer an Ultimate Abs Workout for women over 50, that gives you access to 23 videos. Their exercises will help you to strengthen your core, posture, reduce injury, and more.
4. Lori Michiel Fitness Inc
Lori Michiel has a series of exercises for seniors to help you stretch, improve your range of motion, strengthen your muscles and reduce pain. She’s a Brooklyn born Baby Boomer who lives in Los Angeles and works with seniors. She designs individual and group programs with some dealing with Parkinson’s, arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, and dementia.
5. Gentle Yoga for Seniors DVD and Online Videos
Margaret Manning, founder of the website Sixty and Me offers Yoga videos that are geared to women over 60. Yoga instructor Cat Kabira guides you through sessions that only require equipment you can find around your house. Her sessions include Yoga Flows, Gentle Yoga, and Chair Yoga. They are broken up into days to target various parts of your body. Start with the flow to center and relax and then choose a session of either gentle yoga poses or chair yoga.
6. Ann Merle – Get rid of stress
Another program you may want to check out will help you exercise the stress out of your life. Please visit AnnMerle’s site here for fabulous “feel better” exercises.
7. Beachbody workouts
Don’t let the name fool you. Beachbody has a workout for everyone. On their website, you’ll find 700+ workouts and also Fitness Plus Nutrition Plans. I tried their PiYo workout when I went to the Miraval Resort in Tuscon and it was fabulous! They also have yoga, dance, and low impact. If you want a workout that’s less than 30 minutes, they have that too. It’s also your go-to place for fitness equipment.
- Athletic clothes – You don’t have to look grungy when you work out at home. Check out these beautiful Athleta exercise clothes!
- Track your steps – Don’t forget to wear your fitness tracker to count your steps!
- Want something more challenging? – Sign up for a Spartan Race or take a Spartan workout in your area. They have everything from short sprints for beginners, to 30-mile Ultras as well as obstacle courses, kids races, and endurance events. You can also compete in age categories.
- Monitor your vital signs – Check out these fabulous medical wearables here.
- Tai Chi – One of the most important types of exercises we can do after the age of 50 is Tai Chi because it focuses on balance and mobility. It’s meditative and practiced regularly by Asian cultures. Discover Tai Chi For Balance and Mobility Scott Cole Wellness Series available on Amazon is gentle and easy to follow. It will teach you how to control your breath and includes stretching and chair exercises. Scott Cole has been featured in over 500 publications and on TV in shows like Regis and Kelly, CNN Headline News, The View, The Doctors, Food Network and more.
- Annora Brennan – Annora was my trainer when I was taking classes at Defy Aging in Woodland Hills before I moved farther away to Burbank. Even though she’s only in her late twenties, she has been extensively trained in teaching exercise for people over 40. I can personally guarantee that she’s amazing. She offers 5 free exercise sessions on her website that don’t require any equipment. Visit Annora Brennan’s website here
You may also enjoy: The Best Gear To Have On A Day Hike When You’re Over 60
Feel motivated to get in shape? I know I am. What are your favorite online exercise programs? Please leave a comment below.