In the book “French Women Don’t Get Fat“ author Mireille Guiliano boils down leeks and drinks the juice over the weekend. She says it’s a good way to detox your body after you party too hard. Leeks are an excellent source of dietary fiber and will clean you out easily and gently. They’re also energizing, help boosts metabolism and aid in digestion. Drinking leek juice is fine, but not that enjoyable, so I created a tastier detox soup by blending together leeks, lemon juice, celery, eggs, and herbs.
If you’re feeling bloated or went on a foodie binge, this is the perfect detox soup to make to clean out your system and feel better.
Enjoy this tangy leek detox soup. It’s simple to make and takes just minutes to whip up in a blender.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs leeks White part only, cleaned and cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 lb celery finely chopped - include the leaves
- 8 cups vegetable stock or water
- ½ tsp dill dried or fresh
- ½ tsp cumin
- lemon pepper freshly ground to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 lemons juice -freshly squeezed
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the leeks and celery. Stir with a wooden spoon until the leeks are translucent.
- Add the vegetable broth (or water), salt, lemon pepper, cumin, and dill. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and lemon with a whisk until they are frothy. Ladle in 2 to 3 cups of the hot soup very slowly to the egg mixture beating vigorously with a whisk to keep the egg from cooking too fast.
- Pour the egg mixture into the soup and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Serve in individual bowls warm or chilled with lemon slices and decorate with fresh or dried dill and a little lemon pepper.