In the book “French Women Don’t Get Fat” author Mireille Guiliano boils down leeks and drinks the juice over the weekend. She says it’s a good way to detox your body after you party too hard is to boil up some leeks and eat them to detox. This inspired me to create a detox soup.
Enjoy this tangy leek detox soup recipe!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs leeks White part only, cleaned and cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 lb celery finely chopped - include the leaves
- 8 cups vegetable stock or water
- ½ tsp dill dried or fresh
- ½ tsp cumin
- lemon pepper freshly ground to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 lemons juice -freshly squeezed
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the leeks and celery. Stir with a wooden spoon until the leeks are translucent.
- Add the vegetable broth (or water), salt, lemon pepper, cumin, and dill. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and lemon with a whisk until they are frothy. Ladle in 2 to 3 cups of the hot soup very slowly to the egg mixture beating vigorously with a whisk to keep the egg from cooking too fast.
- Pour the egg mixture into the soup and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Serve in individual bowls warm or chilled with lemon slices and decorate with fresh or dried dill and a little lemon pepper.
This leek detox soup is simple to make and takes just minutes to whip up in a blender.
Why leeks help detox you
Leeks are an excellent source of dietary fiber and will clean you out easily and gently. They’re also energizing, helps boost metabolism, and aids in digestion.
If you’re feeling bloated or went on a foodie binge, this is the perfect detox soup to make to clean out your system and feel better.
Do you detox? Please leave a comment
and let us know how you do it.