I love making all sorts of salads and they’re always fun when you add fruit. My Grapefruit Salad with Fennel and Avocado recipe is a refreshing symphony of flavors that blends citrus and licorice and is topped with a zippy raspberry vinaigrette.
- 1 bulb of fennel with fronds sliced thinly
- ½ avocado sliced
- 1 pink Grapefruit peeled, pith removed and cut into circles
- ½ bag mache lettuce leaves (or watercress)
- Pea Sprouts
- ½ lemon (squeezed on top of the avocado to prevent browning)
- 1 Tbsp walnut oil
- 2 tsp raspberry vinegar
- In a large dish, layer the bottom with mache leaves
- Arrange the fennel, avocado, and grapefruit slices on top of the mache
- Garnish with fennel fronds and pea shoots
- Mix walnut oil and raspberry vinegar
- Drizzle on top of the salad
I used pink grapefruit for its startling color and set it on top of young mâche greens, also known as corn salad or lamb’s lettuce. Pea sprouts with beautiful purple sprigs, avocado slices, and fennel rounds make it a beautiful dish to behold.
The benefits of grapefruit
Grapefruit helps lower “bad” LDL cholesterol levels by 15.5 percent and triglycerides by 27 percent, according to a study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. The deeper the color, the more antioxidants. That’s why it’s always good to go with pink. Grapefruit will also curb your appetite if you’re looking to lose a few pounds.
Other benefits include:
- Lowers the risk of stroke
- It’s high in lycopene, fiber, potassium and Vitamin C to keep your heart healthy
- Its anti-oxidants protect against prostate and esophageal cancers
- Prevents dehydration and constipation because of its high water content.
- Lowers the risk of asthma
Grapefruit originated in the 18th century and is a cross between a pomelo and an orange. It’s called grapefruit because it grows in clusters similar to grapes.
If you’re taking certain prescription drugs such as statins, calcium channel blockers, or psychiatric drugs, have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), or heartburn you may need to avoid eating grapefruit.
What’s your favorite way to eat grapefruit? Please leave a comment and share.