A little champagne can’t hurt . . . right? In fact, champagne is the only alcoholic drink that won’t make you turn red and blush. I learned this when I was selling skin care. And who knew that it actually contains health benefits? Not to mention, it’s always fun to drink. I added green melon and citrus juices to create the delightful Chilled Green Melon and Champagne Soup featured below.
Champagne, like red wine, contains anti-oxidants and high levels of polyphenols that defend nerve cells from injury. It also lowers blood pressure and protects your brain from damage that is commonly associated with Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, and stroke.
Of course, like any alcoholic drink, it’s only beneficial if consumed in moderation. Too much and you may find yourself flat on your face. A good rule of thumb is to share it with upbeat and positive friends and limit your drinking to meal times.
Try my Chilled Green Melon and Champagne Soup as an alternative to mimosas for an elegant and leisurely breakfast or brunch. You don’t even need to use an expensive brand. Save that for drinking by itself. I found a cute little “onesy” bottle of French bubbly that was just the right size to make this recipe. I had just enough left to finish off the bottle without a hiccup.
You may also enjoy this Berry Ambrosia recipe, also with champagne.
- 4 cups of chopped peeled ripe honeydew melon
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- ½ cup of chilled champagne
- Fresh mint leaves
- Blend 3½ cups of chopped honeydew melon, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice and champagne in a blender.
- Garnish with the remaining chopped honeydew melon and fresh mint leaves.