When it comes to beauty and skin care products for Baby Boomer women over 50 let’s change the way we think about aging and adopt the new mindset of Pro-aging. The term “anti-aging” sounds like we’re trying to kill something. The truth is, aging is beautiful and gives us character.
Mature skin looks best when we use products that let us radiate our luminous glow and highlights our best features. Below, you’ll find my favorite recommendations to keep your skin, hair, and body looking its best as you age.
I prefer to use skin care products that are non-toxic and cruelty-free (not tested on animals) if at all possible, However, sometimes the best products and the least allergenic are formulated with a mixture of scientifically developed and natural ingredients.
You may also want to read: How to Know if Your Skincare Ingredients are Harmful to Your Health
The trick to aging gracefully is to enjoy it
Online shopping has made it easier for us to find the best skin care products to meet our individual needs. We don’t have to fight crowds at the mall or attend parties where we buy more than we intended to. The recommendations below are of products I have tried and loved. I hope you enjoy them too.
Best skin care products for women over 50
- Annmarie Skin Care – Handcrafted organic skin care made with natural ingredients. Infused with herbs and plant extracts. They also have hair care, makeup, facial tools, and gift sets. They are offering a Skin Care Clean Beauty Trial Kit so you can see what works best for you.
- Banila.co – This is a clean, Korean makeup and skin care line that is free from parabens, etc. and is streamlined to be adaptable to all skin types. Their award-winning Clean it Zero cleansing balm gets all your makeup off leaving your skin silky smooth.
- Manuka Doctor – This product line offers skin care made from ingredients that come from a beehive. It’s a naturally inspired, and scientifically enhanced formulation that is refined, and formulated for high performance and is 100% bee-friendly. You can also purchase 20+ active bio Manuka bee honey from New Zealand to use as a sweetener. This powerful and nutritious honey may help destroy superbug infections like MRSA.
- Just Natural Skin Care – This company features both skin care, body and hair products made with 250 natural plant-based – non-animal – non-toxic ingredients. They will help take care of a variety of needs from thinning hair to natural tanning. This company also has a line of natural care products for dogs. Their skin care products are formulated using botanical extracts, plant butter, essential oils, exfoliants, hydrosols, oils, proteins, vitamins, raw materials, salts, and waxes. If you are looking for a gift make sure to check out soaps and body scrubs. All of their products are cruelty-free & vegan.
- AHAVA – This brand is high on my list of favorites and I love that their products are made with Dead Sea minerals. They have an extensive line of high-quality skincare, serums, salt scrubs, oils, and treatments. You’ll find solutions for every type of skin and ingredients also include botanicals and other natural ingredients to make your skin glow and look vibrant. Read My Review Here.
- Biossance – This company offers sustainable beauty products formulated with biotechnology. The ingredients in Biossance’s skincare products include Squalane which comes from 100% plant-based, renewable sugarcane. It is then bio-fermented to create a beautiful result that is highly stable and sustainable. Their skin care products lock in moisture to keep your face and body hydrated. Biossance is diligent in its effort to offer clean skin care that will not cause cancer, unbalance your hormones, or damage the environment. The company collaborates with the nonprofit Zagaya to eradicate Malaria in third-world countries and makes donations based on purchases.
- Murad is another high-performance line of radiant beauty products that works. It offers a range of solutions that include mature skin, acne, and even cellulite. Their products are mid-range in price and are remarkably effective. The company was founded by Dr. Howard Murad, a dermatologist, and pharmacist, who takes a holistic view of how to treat aging skin. No animal testing is involved.
- Proven Skincare – Their award-winning technology will design a skin care program customized for you based on your heritage, lifestyle and environment. All you have to so is take a quiz.
- L’Occitane en Provence – This company sells beauty products that come from Manosque, France. Their line includes skin care products, body care, hand care, fragrances, and gorgeous gifts for women and men. All are luxurious and effective for numerous skin care issues including aging, dry skin, hydration, and more.
- Philosophy – A wellbeing beauty brand that harnesses dermatological science with the power of nature. Clean skin care products, fragrances, bath and body, and color.
- Sahajan – Ayurvedic Skin Care – It’s like yoga for your face! This natural, cruelty-free, and eco-friendly company has been touted by magazines like Vogue, Elle, Forbes, and Women’s Health. They have a full line of products for skin care, lip care, body care, hair care and eye care.
- 3 Graces Beauty offers products with clean, sophisticated formulas for all life experienced skin. Each one targets the skin’s natural regeneration and repair mechanisms to promote healthy, more radiant skin. They begin with well-researched natural ingredients and super-power botanicals that are free from harsh chemicals and toxins and never tested on animals. Their products are infused with exclusive plant-based complexes and blends of sustainably sourced, nutrient-rich superfood ingredients featuring Organic Moringa Seed Oil.
Specific skin care concerns for women over 50
- Zincuta Ointment by The Apotheca – This product is excellent if you have psoriasis, eczema, chapped lips, poison ivy blisters, or burn injuries. It comes in a 2 oz tin and is compact enough to pack in your travel bag. It’s formulated with essential oils.
- DerMend Mature Skin Solutions – If you are experiencing dry, itchy skin due to a chronic condition or because of medical treatments like chemotherapy, you will LOVE their Moisturizing Anti-itch Lotion, Fragile Skin Moisturizing Formula and Moisturizing Bruise Formula Cream
- Theraplex Hydro Lotion Daily Skin Maintenance and Dry Skin Protection – This product is accepted by the National Eczema Association and will soothe dry skin almost immediately.
- Bésame Cosmetics – This company is in my neighborhood in Burbank and I love passing by the store because their display is so retro. They sell vintage-style makeup like red lipstick and red rouge. Their products are reminiscent of the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. If you want to go Hollywood elegant, you will love this company. They also have fabulous collections with Disney themes that make excellent gifts and include makeup, wristlets, accessories, and much more. Gift cards are available.
- 3 Graces Beauty – Gorgeous lip products with clean, sophisticated formulas for all life experienced skin. Each one targets the skin’s natural regeneration and repair mechanisms to promote healthy, more radiant skin. We begin with well-researched natural ingredients and super-power botanicals that are free from harsh chemicals and toxins and never tested on animals.
- It Cosmetics CC Cream with SPF 50 Plus – Foundation on older women often looks cakey and makes wrinkles look worse. And tinted moisturizer doesn’t always cover all your skin’s flaws. Enter CC Cream. It corrects flaws on your skin but leaves it smooth and dewy. It Cosmetics is one of the top-rated CC creams and includes 50 SPF to protect your skin from the sun.
Essential Oils, Aromatherapy, and Fragrance
- Apotheke – A home fragrance and body care brand. They believe that scent can transform your home, elevate your mood, and keep memories alive. They also offer a full line of bar soaps and 3-wick candles.
- Thieves Oil from Young Living Essential Oils – I can’t even tell you how much I LOVE Thieves oil. I’ve been using it for years it’s kept me from getting sick. I swear! Years have gone by without me catching a cold, and when I do, it’s much less serious than it ever was before I started using it. All I do is put a drop on both of my wrists over a little coconut oil. The story is that it was originally blended by thieves during the plague who robbed dead bodies to prevent them from getting the plague themselves. (I know, kind of gross) I never go to the doctor or go traveling without it.
- Skylar Body, Inc. – This company sells natural perfumes and home freshening fragrances. Enjoy their fresh scent that doesn’t have any parabens, SLS, phthalates, allergens, animal-derived products, or synthetic dyes mixed in.
- Gya Labs – All of Gya Labs essential oils are 100% pure and natural. They are a team of passionate biochemists, researchers, perfumers, aromatherapists, designers, and nature lovers, driven by a green conscience. You’ll find a wide variety of aromatherapy and carrier oils.
Non-Toxic Hair Products
- Madison Reed non-toxic hair color products – Some Baby Boomer women have bitten the bullet, gone gray and look gorgeous. The rest of us color our hair every 6-12 weeks. That usually means glopping harsh toxic chemicals on our heads. Madison Reed has developed a fantastic line of non-toxic hair color, root touch up kits, and color reviving gloss that keeps your hair soft and gives it gorgeous luster. What I love is that you can keep your hair looking fabulous between color treatments simply by brushing on its root touchup kit. You can also use it to fill in your eyebrows. You may also want to try their wonderful color reviving gloss. I not only love this product but the people who developed it as well. They have great customer service and all their products can be easily purchased online. Please read my review here.
Hair products for mature women
As we age, our hair becomes thinner. If you find you are picking out half a kitten in your hairbrush either from age or medical treatments, try these thinning hair products below:
- Infinity Hair – If you’re having problems with thinning hair, this website offers hair fibers that will give you the appearance of thicker and fuller hair in less than 20 seconds. They also offer supplements to help your hair grow back faster.
- Better, not Younger – Effective hair products for women over 40. All of their products are vegan, paraben-free, sulfate-free, and cruelty-free. You can take a hair quiz to help you choose the products that are right for your hair to nourish, volumize, thicken, and revive. There is also a special category for silver hair.
Nails, Feet, and Hands
- Barielle – As we get older our nails start to thin out and become fragile. Barielle offers nail strengthening, foot, and hand care products that really work. They also have fun nail colors (with strengthening formula inside) and skin care products for hands, feet, and face.
- DIAMANCEL #11 FOOT BUFFER – This heavy-duty polishing file for feet in need of intensive foot care is the BEST! – It was recommended for me when I went to the spa at Miraval and really takes off the dead skin without damaging my feet. I would never use anything else. The lady at the spa told me to take it with me whenever I get a pedicure to avoid catching a fungus or some other gnarly condition that you can sometimes get at a nail salon.
Please share this image on Pinterest