Just because we’re Baby Boomers doesn’t mean we’re stuck in the dark ages. Many of us are active online, are tech-savvy and use the Internet and other technology daily. We may be working online to make retirement income, searching for information, or using it for simple enjoyment.
Baby Boomers built the Internet. That’s why I’ve put together a list of my favorite electronics and technology products for those who are tech-savvy whether you are a blogger like myself, an online entrepreneur, or just like tinkering with technology.
Tech-savvy tools for small business
Baby Boomers are running small businesses that they’ve had for decades or are pursuing new opportunities to supplement their retirement. Using online tools makes it easier and doesn’t use as much paper.
- FreshBooks Cloud Accounting – Free Trial – A convenient service for online invoicing and accounting – Easily and professionally send an invoice to a client. It creates branded invoice forms and links to pay buttons so you can get paid immediately. Clients can also choose the option to pay by check. It’s easy to see your account activity you can also track all your business expenses.
- Zoom – Conduct online meetings with your business partners and friends without leaving the comfort of your home. It’s easy to set up and use and you can connect it to your online or offline calendar.
Setting up your website
I’ve been helping other Baby Boomers blog and set up WordPress sites since 2008. It’s surprising how many people over 50 are starting online businesses. No matter what you’re promoting whether it’s a business, a project, a book you’ve written, or another product you’re selling, you must have a website so that people can find you online.
- Bluehost for website hosting – I’ve been using Bluehost since I started my online business and I use them to host all my websites. Their customer service is in the U.S. and is excellent. Anytime I have a problem, I give them a call and they fix it immediately. I haven’t been disappointed yet. They offer excellent services so you don’t have to be tech-savvy and affordable options.
- Start a blogging business – If you want to know more about blogging read my post How to Start a Blog and my list of resources for bloggers
Do you love taking photos? I sure do, but I don’t want to get a pain in the neck carrying heavy equipment. When I travel, I always take a light camera in addition to my smartphone to get the best photos I can without the weight.
- Canon PowerShot – I’ve been using a Canon Powershot camera for several years now. I love it because it has an awesome zoom lens, is light enough to carry around when I’m traveling and is affordable. Canon always makes great cameras. You can go more high-end with a larger camera like the Canon Rebel, with more bells and whistles, but I like that the SX540 is the perfect solution, and easy to use for those of us who aren’t professional photographers.
Create Videos and Audio
I’ve been a voice actor for over 35 years so it’s a no-brainer that I’m interested in recording audio and shooting videos.
- Techsmith – I love using Camtasia to create videos and it’s improved so much through the years. You can add titles, transitions, annotations, audio and so much more. The best part is that you can send it straight to YouTube or Vimeo as soon as you’re done. They let you take a free trial before you purchase to see if you like it. I also use Snagit to do screenshots and quick recordings. You can edit your photos, add text, shapes, callouts, resize, overlays, you name it. I don’t know what I would do without either of them.
- FlexClip – Create marketing videos and family stories in minutes with this simple program.
- Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone– This is what I use to record my voice-over auditions, and to do podcast interviews. It’s affordable and has excellent sound quality.
Having fast Internet and a good smartphone is important for tech-savvy Boomers. You want the fastest available to avoid frustration.
- Verizon Wireless – I’ve been using Verizon for decades now. It always gets the best coverage and the technology is second to none. They will work with you to make sure you get the best plan for your needs.
- Boost Mobile – Get 4 Lines at $25 line/mo. with Mobile Hotspot per line and unlimited Gigs. Plus: Unlimited Data, Talk & Text On All Lines When You Switch.
Sell your Electronics
- Buyback Boss – Sell back your smartphone online and get an offer back in minutes. You will find the highest offer possible and can ship your phone for free. Get paid by check in the mail or through PayPal.
Reading and listening to books
For those of you who love to read but don’t have room in your house for more books, enjoy your reading material on a device you can take anywhere.
- Audiobooks – Listen to over 100,000 audiobooks for a low monthly fee. It’s sort of like the book clubs we joined when we were young except that you can listen to books on your smartphone or tablet.
- Kindle Oasis E-Reader – Graphite, 7″ High-Resolution Display (300 ppi), Waterproof, Built-In Audible, 8 GB, Wi-Fi – Includes Special Offers.
Protect your eyes while you work online
- Swanick Blue Light Glasses – If you’re a tech-savvy Boomer and use electronics all day it can affect how you sleep at night. But you can alieve this by wearing glasses that have blue-light protection. Swannies by Swanick are the most scientifically-validated blue blockers on the market. Try them and see.
- Amazon Prime Photo Storage – You can get unlimited photo backup for full-resolution images with your Amazon Prime Account and 5 GB for Videos. Plus, you get all the advantages of Amazon Prime for streaming, shipping, books, grocery delivery, and more.
- Canva – I create all my images for Pinterest and my blog using Canva. I’ve even designed my own business cards and had them shipped to me and they were perfect and high-quality. It’s easy to use and even people who aren’t that tech-savvy can use it. It’s also very creative.
Other cool stuff
- Phone Tripod, UBeesize Portable – Use it to hold your cell phone or GoPro for selfies.
Please share this image on Pinterest