A while back, I visited Amgen Labs to attend an Osteoporosis Summit. While we were there, we attended a cooking class and learned how to make Salmon Cakes with Cucumber Cooler Dip. Salmon is high in vitamin D and the yogurt has calcium. Both are essential nutrients for bone health The recipe was so yummy, I wanted to share it with you.
Enjoy this bone-healthy recipe for Salmon cakes with cucumber cooler dip
- 1 lb fresh Atlantic Salmon, (skin-on) For a vegetarian option replace salmon with two 15 oz cans of black beans.
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 green onions, sliced thin and divided
- ½ tsp dried dill
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 2½ tbsp mayo
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- ½ small cucumber, diced
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of chopped fresh mint
- Pinch of salt.
- Heat skillet on medium heat and add 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Sprinkle salmon generously with salt and pepper. Place salmon skin down in a hot skillet,
- Cook salmon for 4-5 minutes on each side. Once cooked through, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat the same skillet to medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add 1 tsp oil. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Season with salt. Sweat the vegetables (turn the heat down if they start to brown) until they're slightly softened, about 5 minutes. (You still want them to have a little bit of texture to them.) Cool for a minute or two.
- Place salmon (or black beans) in a mixing bowl and use a fork to fake the fish apart. Add the cooled vegetables, Panko, egg, all but 2 tsp of the green onion, dill, Dijon, mayo, lemon juice, and ¼ tsp salt. Use a fork to stir the mixture until combined. Form into four large or eight small patties.
- Heat skillet or griddle to medium heat. Brush with remaining olive oil. Add salmon patties, and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with Cucumber Cooler Dip and garnish with the remaining green onion.
- Combine yogurt, cucumber, lemon zest and juice, mint and salt in a small bowl or jar.
According to Amgen, this recipe contains 460 mg of calcium or 46% of the daily recommended value. Foods high in Vitamin D, like these salmon cakes promote calcium absorption. You may also want to try my Salmon Olive Dip, Citrus Salmon Dinner, and Whiskey Glazed Salmon recipes.