If you happened to catch the film “Life of the Party” starring Melissa McCarthy she plays a mom (Deanna) who has just sent her daughter to college. As she leaves the school after dropping her daughter off, Deanna’s husband lays a bomb that he’s been having an affair and wants a divorce. Deanna decides to go back to college and joins her daughter, much to her kid’s chagrin. It ends up that all the girls in the sorority including her daughter love having her there and proves that it’s never too late for life-long learning.
Of course, Melissa is too young to be a Baby Boomer but it’s not too unusual these days to see students of all ages attending college. Some people get degrees well into their 90s and student loans are available that help makes college accessible to anyone. Life-long learning of any kind keeps us young, engaged, and relevant. If you don’t want to register and attend a college physically, and possibly be the oldest student in the class, there are plenty of online sites where you can learn from the comfort of your own home.
There may not be any sorority parties to attend (like Melissa did in the film), but you can add to your current career credentials, learn something new, or even start a business with the knowledge you learn. We all know Baby Boomers are not always able to enjoy the traditional retirement scenario. I know I’m not. After a life pursuing an acting career and the struggles of single motherhood, a plush life of fun and leisure would only be possible if I meet a rich sugar daddy who isn’t into sweet young things. Somehow, I don’t see that in the cards right now, LOL.
Here are some online life-long learning sites you may want to check out
College classes to enhance your credentials
- edX – This site connects you to courses given by top-tier universities that include Harvard, Berkeley, University of Texas, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the Sorbonne, and Boston University. You can earn MicroMaster’s Certificates, Professional Certificates, XSeries Programs, and University credits in a huge array of subjects. Their most popular course is called “The Science of Happiness.” Some follow a fixed schedule and others are self-paced so you can complete them at your leisure. There are 1900+ courses and the site serves 14 Million + learners worldwide.
The Edx mission:
At edX, we take our mission of increasing global access to quality education seriously. We connect learners to the best universities and institutions from around the world. Join us!
- The Great Courses – You can purchase DVD sets and books on this impressive site. I currently have their “Art of Travel Photography,” “Writing Creative Nonfiction,” and “Great Tours: Experiencing Medieval Europe” courses. They are given by university professors other professionals in their fields. Courses run the gamut of knowledge and include Better Living, Science, History, Fine Arts, Economics, Literature, Philosophy, Religion, Music, Math, High School and Professional. I was happy with what I received and believe it’s worth the investment.
Learn from masters in their field
- Masterclass – This amazing site offers classes by some of the world’s greatest minds. Can you imagine taking a photography class from Annie Leibovitz or learn to direct with Ron Howard? How about a cooking class from Gordon Ramsay, Screenwriting by Aaron Sorkin or Comedy with Steve Martin? This is the caliber of classes that are offered. You can get an all-access pass for $180 per year.
Learn tech, self-improvement and many other skills
- Udemy – Baby Boomers are reinventing themselves into all sorts of post-retirement businesses and many are working online. You can learn tech skills such as website design, social media, IT, computer software, business skills, as well as photography, health, self-improvement, languages, music, test prep and just about anything on Udemy. They have a library of over 65,000 online learning courses at reasonable prices. Work at your own pace. You can even learn using their fabulous phone app.
Learn to be a writer and get paid
- Great Escape Publishing – If you have a desire to become a freelance writer I recommend you take a course from Great Escape Publishing. I attended their travel writer’s workshop in Denver and not only learned valuable skills but met amazing people, some of whom have written posts on this blog and have become online friends. I decided to stick with blogging but my writing has improved because of it. Many of my classmates are now award-winning writers who have bylines in a variety of publications both print and online. Great Escape’s courses are not cheap, but certainly worth it in both content and contacts.
- Become a blogger – I’ve been blogging since 2008 and taught myself how to set up sites on WordPress. I started a business helping other people to do it in 2010. Now, I not only set up websites but also tutor those who want to learn how to use WordPress to fit their individual needs. For more information, click here.
Do it Yourself (DIY) and crafts
- Bluprint (formerly Craftsy) has online classes that will teach you how to create handmade crafts and goods. They include sewing, knitting, cake decorating, baking, crochet, embroidery, photography, paper crafts, woodworking, weaving, spinning, dance, fitness, yoga, art, and home decorating. It’s a paradise for life-long learning if you’re a do-it-yourselfer who is creative and loves to work with your hands. You can also purchase craft kits, supplies, and patterns.
Choose an individual class or sign up to subscribe to their unlimited program with a 7-day free trial.
Enlighten and expand your consciousness and teach others how as well
- The Chopra Center offers classes and teaching opportunities in meditation, Ayurveda, and coaching. You can learn online or attend one of their retreats. The Chopra Center is located at the Omni La Costa Resort and Spa in Carlsbad, California near San Diego.
- Gaia – If you are a seeker, dreamer, or interested in the evolution of your consciousness, Gaia provides video programming for spiritual growth, alternative health, personal development, and expanded consciousness. Develop your intuition, learn about ancient civilizations and cultures, relieve stress and even delve into the occult.
Please share this image on Pinterest