If you’re over 50, chances are you’ve experienced annoying pain during your lifetime. Pain is caused by inflammation and may be aggravated by a minor auto accident, a slip on the floor, or simply a turn in the wrong direction. It can be a temporary curse or a chronic condition.
Either way, it doesn’t feel good and you want it to go away fast. The older we are, the creakier we get, but that’s not a reason to surrender to it. The best way to prevent inflammation over 50 is to do it naturally.
Have you ever felt as stiff as Tin Man and wished someone would oil you?
You can take over the counter medication for pain like ibuprofen, or aspirin, but that’s a temporary fix. Who knows what they will do to your body over the long term?
There are many foods that are anti-inflammatory. If you eat them regularly you’ll have less pain and feel better.
Foods that naturally prevent inflammation
- Tart Cherries – are known to work 10 times better than aspirin to ease aches and pains.
- Onions and Garlic – both contain quercetin, an antioxidant, and sulfur compound that is anti-inflammatory.
- Tumeric (curcumin), has strong anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s said to work as well as hydrocortisone and can often be found in natural pain remedies like Inflamend.
- Ginger – Researchers have found that ginger is helpful for people with osteoarthritis.
- Pineapple – contains the enzyme bromelain. Athletes eat pineapple to ease the pain of sports injuries.
- Green Tea – The flavonoids in Green tea are potent anti-inflammatory agents.
- Blueberries – are high in phytonutrients that help ease inflammation.
- Olive Oil – called the Mediterranean Secret to Longevity, is a natural anti-inflammatory. A substance found in extra-virgin olive oil called Oleocanthal has anti-inflammatory effects similar to those of ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
- Wild Salmon, Mackerel, Black Cod, Herring, Sardines, and Anchovies – The rich Omega 3 fatty acids found in the oil of fatty fish will lubricate your achy joints.
Other foods that are known to be helpful to prevent inflammation are:
Kelp, Shitake Mushrooms, Oyster Mushrooms, Broccoli, Carrot, Spinach, Kale, Sweet Potato, Papaya, Guava, Strawberry, Pear, Orange, Poultry (skin removed), chickpea, Omega-3 enriched eggs, lentils, grass-fed lean meat, almond, hazelnut, walnut, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, parsley, thyme, cinnamon, basil, and avocado oil.
Make sure to eat at least a few of these foods every day to prevent inflammation and stay fit and flexible.
Are you suffering from inflammation over 50? What are you doing to relieve the pain? Please leave a comment and let us know.